Wednesday, May 7, 2014

U2

"Rock stars are good at making noise." - Bono

       This week I figured I'd talk about one of my all-time favorite bands instead of my personal connection to music.

       U2 are an Irish rock band who were formed in the late 1970's. The group consist of Bono (vocals and guitar), The Edge (guitar and keyboard), Adam Clayton (bass guitar), and Larry Mullen (drums).
       Throughout the years, U2 has maintained a sound built on melodic instrumentals, highlighted by varied guitar licks and Bono's edgy vocals. Their lyrics are full of spiritual imagery and they focus on personal and social concerns. 
       U2 have managed to uphold their success throughout the past three decades and have been spread throughout the music industry. They don't follow the lines of a 'typical rock band". They add their own artistic flavor and combine it with an original sound and honest lyrics. 
       They released their first album Boy in 1980 which was then followed by 16 other hit albums. My personal favorite is The Joshua Tree which was released in 1987. It consists  of the songs "With or Without You", "Where The Streets Have No Name", and "Running To Stand Still".
       Their latest song "Ordinary Love" is part of the Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom soundtrack which came out in November of 2013. It starts off with a moody keyboard but picks up and builds to an upbeat rock as Bono sings.
       U2 will always be one of my favorite bands. My favorite song by them "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" which is on All That You Can Leave Behind and "With or Without You" which, like I mentioned before, is on The Joshua Tree.
       My parents have actually always been big fans of U2. They saw them plenty of times and sadly, never took me with them. I've been listening to them ever since I can remember. My mom would pick my brother and I up from school back when I lived in Denver and we'd play their songs over and over until we memorized every lyric. I remember sitting by the our fire place before heading up for bed and listening to our (now ancient) portable CD player with really poor quality head phones. They will forever hold a place in my heart, Itunes, Spotify, and whatever technological device is popular at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. I really like coming back to your blog, you do such a good job at describing what you love. I have never really listened to U2 but you make them sound like a great band. Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete