Friday, May 23, 2014

Tony

"I never wanted to sing. I just wanted to play rhythm guitar - hide in the back and just play." -Kurt Cobain

       When I decided I was going to play guitar I refused to accept the fact that I had to LEARN first. My parents told me they had found me a guitar teacher and I was unbelievably mad. I didn't need a guitar teacher, playing wasn't even that hard... or so I thought.
       I tried proving to my parents that I could play but after multiple failed attempts, I accepted the teacher. He started coming over every Tuesday.
       He wasn't like every other guitar teacher though. He didn't start off with music theory or teaching me the difference between F major, F minor or F sharp. He asked me what my favorite bands were and started teaching me songs that I loved. 
       For the first few months, everything was great. Tony, my guitar teacher, had already taught me several songs and most of the chords. After the first five or sixth months, he started making me sing. I hated it, I hated it so much. I began to dread Tuesdays because I knew I'd be forced to sing. I complained about it to him every week. It was the most treacherous thing he could make me do. I didn't care about breathing with my diaphragm and not letting the notes come from the back of my throat. 
       I didn't care one bit. I didn't NEED voice lessons because I never sung for people, only myself in the comfort of my own shower. I would tell him every week, "I'm paying you to teach me how to play guitar, not sing." He kept insisting no matter what, even after all of the tears and arguments.
       It's been almost three years now, and my passion for guitar has reached new extremes. I've picked up on singing as well and I finally feel comfortable enough to sing for people that I know, and I love it. Tony may be a pain in the ass, but he fought for me. He knew that I had potential and he refused to let it slip and all I can do is thank him for it. 
       
       The quote by Kurt Cobain explains the situation I was in. I didn't want to sing, it was the last thing I wanted to do. All I longed for was a good guitar teacher, who got me to play like Slash in two months but of course, it didn't happen. I'm still learning new techniques on guitar, and now my vocals as well. 

3 comments:

  1. I always love coming back to your blog. I understand how fustrating learning guitar can be. That's great that you're able to play and sing for people, i couldn't say the same. Keep up the great work and great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting how you shared your experiences with learning guitar with everybody. When i wanted to play guitar i was the same exact way, i didn't want to LEARN to play and tried to dive right in. Apparently it didn't work because now I can barely differentiate a guitar and a piano. Good writing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saved the best blog to comment on last. Your blog's completely honest and you writing flows the way I wish mine did. Your transitions were great and your past blogs and this one were entertaining to read. I hope you keep up this blog throughout the upcoming years even after this class is over. Good job!

    ReplyDelete